This page of IGN’s Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time guide is all about transferring your saves to the next-gen versions of the game, letting you pick up your progress and enjoy next-gen benefits without spending a dime!
Save transfer only applies to the Xbox and PlayStation versions of the game. The PC and Nintendo Switch versions do not support the save transfer feature.
How to Get the Next-Gen Version of Crash Bandicoot 4
To get the next-generation version of Crash 4 for free, all you need is to already own the game on either Xbox One or PlayStation 4, which makes you eligible to get the next-gen version for free. How you do this depends on your platform, however.
If you’re on Xbox, you’ll automatically have the Xbox Series version of the game available thanks to Smart Delivery. If you have a disc version of the game, you’ll still need to use that in order to play the game.
If you’re on PlayStation, you’ll need to manually find and download the PlayStation 5 version of the game from the PlayStation Store. Search for it, and if you’re eligible, the game’s icon will have “Free Upgrade” on it in a white box.
If you have the disc version of the game, you’ll need to have the PlayStation 4 disc inserted in your PlayStation 5 for this to register. This will of course require having the disc drive version of the PS5: you can’t insert your disc into the PS5 Digital Edition.
How to Transfer Your Saves to the Next-Gen Version of Crash Bandicoot 4
Now that you have the next-gen version of the game, you’ll need to transfer your progress over. There’s a few things to note before we begin:
- Save transfers are one-way. You can upload any save to retrieve on the next-gen version, but you can’t take a next-gen save and retrieve it in the last-gen version.
- You cannot transfer a save from one console family to another. That means you cannot take an Xbox One save of Crash 4 and import it into the PlayStation 5 version, for example.
- You can only transfer one save at a time. If you have multiple saves you want to transfer, you’ll need to bounce back and forth between the two versions of the game.
- The PS5 version has a separate Trophy List. This means that all your PS4 Trophies will pop again for the PS5 list. If you’re a Trophy hunter, you may want to consider getting all the Trophies on PS4, then transferring the save to PS5 to pop them all a second time.
With that knowledge in mind, here’s what you need to do to transfer your saves:
- Make sure your last-gen version of Crash 4 has Firmware 1.05 or later. This adds the save transfer feature for you to use.
- Start the last-gen version of Crash 4, go to the main menu, then press Square (PS4) / X (XBO) to open up the Save Slots menu.
- Highlight the save you want to transfer, then press Triangle (PS4) / Y (XBO) to upload it.
- Now go to the next-gen version of Crash 4 and go to the Save Slots menu again. Highlight a slot, then press Triangle / Y to download the save you uploaded earlier into the slot!